Samsung‘s Galaxy S series is one of the most anticipated smartphone lineups each year, and the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S24 series is no exception. While the phones are still months away from their launch, several rumors and leaks have revealed expected specifications and features of the purported Galaxy S24 series.
Early launch date
According to a recent leak by tipster Ice Universe (@UniverseIce), the Galaxy S24 series could launch as early as January 18, 2024. This is nearly two weeks earlier than the Galaxy S23’s official announcement. The leaked date may not be entirely accurate, but Ice Universe has a good track record when it comes to Samsung leaks.
Deca-core Exynos SoC for Galaxy S24 and Galaxy S24+
Another interesting rumor is that the Galaxy S24 and Galaxy S24+ could be powered by a deca-core Exynos SoC. This would be a significant change from previous years, as Samsung has typically used different processors for the Galaxy S series in different markets. For example, the Galaxy S23 series was powered by the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 in North America and China, and the Exynos 2200 in other markets.
It’s not clear why Samsung would switch to a deca-core Exynos SoC for the Galaxy S24 and Galaxy S24+ in all markets. One possibility is that the company is confident that its next-generation Exynos chip will be able to compete with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon flagship chips in terms of performance and efficiency. Another possibility is that Samsung is trying to reduce its reliance on Qualcomm.
Other expected features
In addition to the deca-core Exynos SoC, the Galaxy S24 and Galaxy S24+ are also expected to feature the following features:
- Dynamic AMOLED 2X displays with 120Hz refresh rates
- Up to 12GB of RAM and 256GB of storage
- Triple-lens rear camera systems
- 4,900mAh or 5,000mAh batteries
The Galaxy S24 Ultra is expected to have similar specifications, but it will likely have a larger display, a quad-lens rear camera system, and a 5,000mAh battery.
The Samsung Galaxy S24 series is shaping up to be a very impressive lineup. With its early launch date, deca-core Exynos SoC, and other rumored features, the Galaxy S24 and Galaxy S24+ could be two of the most popular smartphones of 2024.
Additional thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy S24 series:
- The early launch date for the Galaxy S24 series is a surprise, but it’s a welcome one. It’s always nice to see new smartphones launch earlier in the year.
- The deca-core Exynos SoC for the Galaxy S24 and Galaxy S24+ is an interesting development. It will be interesting to see how it performs compared to Qualcomm’s Snapdragon flagship chips.
- The other expected features for the Galaxy S24 and Galaxy S24+ are all top-notch. These phones are shaping up to be very competitive flagships.
- The Galaxy S24 Ultra is likely to be the most impressive phone in the series. It’s expected to have a large display, a quad-lens rear camera system, and a large battery.
Overall, the Samsung Galaxy S24 series is shaping up to be a very exciting lineup. I’m looking forward to seeing what Samsung announces in January 2024.
Possible benefits and drawbacks of a deca-core Exynos SoC for the Samsung Galaxy S24 and Galaxy S24+:
- Improved performance: A deca-core SoC could potentially offer improved performance over an octa-core SoC, especially for demanding tasks such as gaming and multitasking.
- Better battery life: A deca-core SoC could also potentially offer better battery life than an octa-core SoC, by intelligently distributing workloads across the different cores.
- Reduced heat generation: A deca-core SoC could also potentially generate less heat than an octa-core SoC, by distributing the heat load across more cores.