The latest ChromeOS M117 update is now rolling out to devices, bringing with it a host of new features and improvements. The most notable change is the new Material You-like theme system, which dynamically adapts the accent colors of your Chromebook to match your wallpaper. This gives your device a more personal and cohesive look.
Other new features in ChromeOS M117 include:
- Enhanced Vietnamese input method:This update introduces improved Vietnamese Telex and VNI input methods with advanced features and shortcuts.
- Up Next calendar view:The new ChromeOS calendar now allows you to view upcoming meetings and join them directly with a click.
- System information preview:Launcher Search now provides a preview of your OS version, battery, RAM, storage, and CPU when you search for these terms.
- Quick Settings revamp:The Quick Settings view has been redesigned with larger buttons, reduced pagination, and a separate notification panel. This makes it easier to access notifications and essential controls, including a new restart option.
- Enhanced privacy controls:Chromebook users now have more control over their privacy settings. With ChromeOS M117, you can manage camera and microphone permissions across the operating system with a single click.
- New privacy indicators:New privacy indicators in the bottom right status area let you know when apps are using your camera or microphone.
- Accent colors and personalization:ChromeOS now offers accent colors that match your wallpapers, providing a unique theme for your device. These colors will adapt to light and dark modes, giving you more control over your device’s appearance.
- Clipboard history enhancements:New entry points and educational information make it easier to discover and use the clipboard history feature.
- GIFs in emoji picker:The emoji picker now includes GIF support, making it more fun and expressive.
- Audio ducking update:ChromeOS now allows you to listen to audio from Android apps and the web simultaneously without one pausing the other.
- Color correction settings:New built-in color correction settings in ChromeOS Accessibility settings make it easier to customize your display according to your color vision needs.
- Time-lapse recording:The Camera App now supports time-lapse recording, simplifying the process and automatically selecting the speed for the resulting video.
- Adaptive Charging:A new power management feature, Adaptive Charging, predicts when users will unplug their devices and charges them accordingly. This preserves battery health and can be customized by admins.
Material You-Like Theme System
One of the most notable changes in ChromeOS M117 is the new Material You-like theme system. This feature allows users to customize the look and feel of their device with accent colors that match their wallpapers. The colors will also adapt to light and dark modes, creating a truly immersive experience.
Enhanced Vietnamese Input Method
ChromeOS M117 also introduces improved Vietnamese Telex and VNI input methods. These updates offer advanced features and shortcuts, making it easier for Vietnamese users to type and input text. Additionally, the fixed diacritic insertion ensures consistent behavior, regardless of the input method used.
Up Next Calendar View
The new ChromeOS calendar makes it easier to stay on top of your schedule. With the Up Next view, you can easily see upcoming meetings and join them directly with a simple click on the date. Multi-day event support has also been added, so you can view your entire schedule at a glance.
System Information Preview
When you need to find information about your OS version, battery, RAM, storage, or CPU, you can now use the Launcher Search to get a quick preview of these details. This feature is especially convenient when you’re troubleshooting an issue or need to provide support information to someone else.
Quick Settings Revamp
The Quick Settings view has also been revamped in ChromeOS M117. It now features larger buttons, reduced pagination, and a separate notification panel. This makes it easier to access notifications and essential controls, such as the new restart option.
Enhanced Privacy Controls
Chromebook users can now enjoy enhanced camera and microphone privacy controls. With this update, you can easily manage these settings across the operating system with a one-click solution in the Settings menu. Additionally, new privacy indicators in the bottom right status area will inform you when apps are accessing your microphone or camera.
Accent Colors and Personalization
In addition to the Material You-like theme system, ChromeOS M117 also offers a number of other personalization options. For example, you can now customize the accent colors of your device’s launcher, shelf, and quick settings. You can also choose from a variety of new wallpapers and backgrounds.
Clipboard History Enhancements
Managing your clipboard history is now easier than ever with ChromeOS M117. New entry points and educational information have been added to help you discover and utilize this feature effectively.
GIFs in Emoji Picker
The emoji picker now includes GIF support, making it even more fun and expressive. You can easily search for and insert GIFs into your messages, emails, and other documents.
Audio Ducking Update
ChromeOS M117 also includes an update to the audio ducking feature. This feature now allows you to listen to audio from Android apps and the web simultaneously without one pausing the other. This is perfect for listening to music while you’re working on a project or browsing the web.
Color Correction Settings
New built-in color correction settings in ChromeOS Accessibility settings make it easier for users to customize their display according to their color vision needs. These settings can be used to adjust the brightness, contrast, and saturation of the display to improve visibility and comfort.
The Camera App now supports Time-Lapse recording. This feature simplifies the process of creating time-lapse videos by automatically selecting the speed for the resulting video.
ChromeOS M117 introduces a new power management feature called Adaptive Charging. This feature predicts when users will unplug their devices and charges them accordingly. This preserves battery health and can be customized by admins.
ChromeOS M117: A New Era of Expression
In addition to the productivity and privacy features mentioned above, ChromeOS M117 also introduces a number of new features and enhancements designed to enhance user expression.
For example, the new GIF support in the emoji picker makes it easy to add a touch of fun and personality to your messages. And with the new Time-Lapse recording feature in the Camera App, you can easily create stunning videos of your everyday adventures.
ChromeOS M117: A New Era of Accessibility
ChromeOS M117 is also committed to making computing more accessible to everyone. The new built-in color correction settings in ChromeOS Accessibility settings make it easier for users with color vision deficiencies to customize their display for improved visibility and comfort.
This update also includes a number of other accessibility improvements, such as:
- Improved screen magnifier support for Android apps
- Enhanced keyboard navigation for Chromebook tablets
- New screen reader announcements for system events and notifications
- Support for Braille displays in the ChromeOS keyboard app
These improvements make ChromeOS an even more inclusive and accessible platform for users of all abilities.
ChromeOS M117: A New Era of Security
Security is always a top priority for Google, and ChromeOS M117 is no exception. This update includes a number of new security features and enhancements, such as:
- Enhanced sandboxing for Android apps
- Improved protection against malicious websites and extensions
- New security warnings for users when they attempt to download or install unsafe content
These features help to keep Chromebook users safe and secure, even when they’re browsing the web, using Android apps, or working on sensitive documents.
ChromeOS M117: A New Era for Education
ChromeOS M117 also includes a number of new features and improvements designed to enhance the educational experience.
For example, the new Up Next Calendar View makes it easy for students to stay on top of their upcoming assignments and exams. And with the new Time-Lapse recording feature in the Camera App, students can easily create educational videos and presentations.
Additionally, the new built-in color correction settings in ChromeOS Accessibility settings can help students with color vision deficiencies to better see and understand educational content.
ChromeOS M117: A New Era for Everyone
Overall, ChromeOS M117 is a major release that packs a slew of new features and improvements for users of all kinds. With its focus on personalization, productivity, privacy, accessibility, security, and education, this update is sure to make ChromeOS even more popular and successful.